So, as I left off from yesterday: we were at the coliseum... My favorite thing about the coliseum is that, you're driving along (well, we're not driving...no way would I drive in Rome) and you look up, and, oh, there it is...the coliseum. I mean, you don't have to go to a museum or drive out into the countryside...like you do to see Cadillac Ranch or the Eiffel Tower in Paris, Texas...it's just right there. Right in the middle of the city. Boom! It's just amazing.
Did you know that they have found a ton of stuff that tells them what people were doing while they were attending an event at the colisuem...they were eating and drinking stuff from vendors...we know this because excavators found chicken bones and cherry and peach pits (also why I'm not an archeologist...I'd be at some site, enjoying my lunch, spitting out cherry pits...someone would come along behind me, and the next thing I know the pits would be sealed in acrylic for the world to see). They were playing dice and betting games...we know this because...well...didn't you see the movie, Gladiator? We know they were hanging out in the restrooms chatting with each other, just like today, only there weren't dividers between the stalls...I know...waaaay too much information!
Our next stop was the Roman Forum...the ancient marketplace. All the temples, stores, public houses, etc. It's where you see all those massive columns and ruins just standing around:
Actually, it's very impressive. The weird thing is that you'd think this is where Julius Caesar was assassinated...but it's not. The Senate was moved to the forum after his death, because the first building burned down...it was in a place called Caesar's Forum (coincidence?). Today, that forum is also in ruins, but about 100 ferral cats call it home:
See the cat in the shade? Lower left hand corner? It's black and white.. You can click on the picture to make it bigger. Keep looking.
Anyway, the Roman Forum is massive. And not too long after it was built, all the emperors starting building their own forums. They're everywhere. I asked our guide, Gloria, if, when you're walking along the street or somewhere and you see a rock...how are you sure it's just a rock and not some long lost nose off of a priceless statue...I'm just sayin'.
After the forum, we went to what the locals call The Wedding Cake because of it's stacked arrangement and white marble designs. It's a monument ( really big one) to all the fallen soldiers, in Piazza Venezia. I am absolutely positive this is where Soldier Field got it's inspiration...Brett: homework assignment for you...
The Pantheon was our next stop. There's just nothing that can prepare you for it. It was about 93 degrees yesterday and very humid. We turned a corner and entered the square in front of the Pantheon...I had goosebumps. It's astounding (I'm starting to run out of words, here). So, we're really hot, and, as I was saying about the water in Rome: it comes up from a natural aquifer and is always. always. available from the fountains everywhere...it just never stops running. Cold, clean, delicious water. For free. I'm sure Evian hates Rome. So there's a fountain in front of the Pantheon. We stop and refill our bottles and douse our shoulders in the cold water. That, along with the goosebumps...it might as well have been about 66 degrees. Wonderful!!
And so is the Pantheon. It's a perfect globe...the dome is as round as it is tall inside...with a very famous oculous:
And two very tired, very happy travelers:Well, it's midnight here, and I need a good night's sleep before we head out into the countryside tomorrow to see the castles of Rome. I'll start again later with our visit to Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps. Then there's that Vatican thing. Ciao for now!


No comments:
Post a Comment