Thursday, September 3, 2009

Lovely Sorrento

Okay...how many of you have ever had limoncello?  How many of you would like to?  If so...Sorrento is the place you need to be.  

Today we took the ferry over to Sorrento.  It's not as dramatic as pulling into Capri, but it's still lovely.  There's a small portion of the town around the marina, but you have to climb the hill (or take the bus) up to the city center to find lovely Sorrento.  Little cafes, shops spilling out into the streets with porcelain dishes and liquor stores jammed with limoncello, wine and other refreshments dot the piazzas and the scent of lemon and orange trees wafts through the airy market.  Wow.  

We shopped, we ate, we tasted, we drank, we shipped...it was a perfect day.  Made even more perfect by the gelato fix we had right before heading back to Naples.  

Another thing I did before heading back...waded into the Mediterranean Sea.  It was warm, sticky, exotic.  I nearly lost a shoe, but I felt, if only for a moment, like wading in deeper, like getting lost, like missing the last boat to Naples, like I could learn to grow lemons and make limoncello.  It's dangerous, that sea.  Il mare mediterranea (eel mar-ay med-EE-ter-ahn-nee-a).  

Ciao!


2 comments:

  1. Is the limoncello there as good as the orangecello? If so, then I could die and that could be heaven :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you, my friend would be in your own little slice of limon heaven.

    ReplyDelete